Alto saxophone player
Saori Yano (born in 1986, from Tokyo, Japan) is an alto saxophone player. She has played alto saxophone since she was 9 years old. Charlie Parker inspired her to play jazz, and she was impressed by Billy Holiday's autograph when she was 14 years old. Later, she cast herself in a jazz club and started to perform on stage afterward. She was 16 years old when she made her debut that got a great deal of attention as a second Japanese artist from the jazz prestige record label “SAVOY” on September 2003.T.V Asahi company also featured her music in the program " Houdou Station" as theme song and this made widely to known to all public about the advent of a Jazz new generation.
When she performed together with Jimmy Cobb, who is well known for his performances with Miles Davis on his 3rd Album “SAKURA STAMP” during his release tour at Blue Note, he admired her performance as the “Japanese Cannonball Adderley”. Likewise, their performances impressed real jazz audiences during a 2-day long live concert in NY. They also released their 1st live version album.
Furthermore, Saori Yano performed with Dizzy Gillespie’s all star members such as the genius of arrangement, Slide Hampson, who won the Grammy Award twice and James Moody on his 5th Album “Gloovi’n High”. Ever since, she has built a great relationship with James and has had private lessons with him for 2 weeks at his house in CA.
In Spring 2007, she appeared on Kao’s TV commercial as a new Asian beauty. Her original song “I & I” was used this commercial song and when she was 20, her 1st best album contained the song the album won the “THE JAPAN GOLD DISC AWARD Jazz album of the year 2008” award. She garnered attention from a wide range of genres.
In November of the same year, Saori Yano released her 7th album “Little Tiny” with currently the greatest organist Dr. Lonnie Smith Trio. In December 2008 she released “GLOOMY SUNDAY” repertories of revered Billie Holiday, welcoming Neko Saito for song arrangements.
Then she released “BEBOP AT THE SAVOY” in 2010. This album recorded the 50s golden ages and straight ahead jazz music working with energetic musicians who are playing at NY.
In 2012, as the celebration of 10 years from debut, an origin-returning, fan-requested album “Answer” which features Mr. Terumasa Hino, a world-class trumpeter, was released.
In 2015 she released “Bubble Bubble Bebop” an album which is comprised Funky Jazz and Cuba Lain with Bebop basics. It also features Motoharu(ts) and Tabuzonbi(tp), members of SOIL & PINP SESSIONS, and Salsa Swingoza, the grand band of Cuba Latin in Japan led by, a leading percussionist Gen Ogimi.
Saori Yano's Saxophone
SAX is CONN 26M, Strup is ISHIMORI's original, Mouthpiece is SHINJI ISHIMORI's original,
Ligature is ISHIMORI's WoodStone Solid Silber, Reed is ISHIMORI's WoodStone 3 1/2
- Born on 27 Oct. 1986
- in Tokyo, Japan.
- 1996／ age 9 （4th grade）
- Joins the school band. She originally hoped to play the flute, but losing in a battle of “rock-paper-scissors”, she found herself stuck with the alto saxophone.
- 1998／ age 11 （6th grade）
- Finds the Jaco Pastorius album in her father’s CD collection. Shocked by Charlie Parker’s “Donna Lee” , falls in love with Jazz. Begins to learn Jazz by herself.
- 2001／ age 14 （8th grade）
- Inspired by Billie Holiday’s biography, and the fact that Billie at 14 was performing in Jazz Clubs to make a living, begins promoting herself to local Jazz Clubs. Landing a gig in Nishiarai’s Cafe Clair, she begins her own career on stage.
- February 2002／ age 15 （9th grade）
- Word of mouth brings her to a record producer, lands a records deal.
- March 2003／ age 16 （10th grade）
- Plays the Lenox Lounge and the Zynk Bar in New York in a jam session with artists like Frank Wess.
- September 2003／ age 16 （11 th grade）
- The debut album “YANO SAORI” is released to raving reviews as the newest star of Japanese Jazz. She is the second Japanese artist to release an album for the SAVOY label.
- April 2004／ age 17 （12 th grade）
- Records her second album “02” at Avatar Studio in New York with guest artists Harold Mabern Trio, Eric Alexander, and Peter Bernstein. Taking the stage in a jam session at New York ‘s famous Smoke Jazz Club ＆ Lounge, receives the highest praise from George Coleman.
Her music is chosen to be the theme tune of the ten o’clock news on TV-Asahi (Hodo Station). A producer of the program heard her album “YANO SAORI”, and insisted on using her music.
- March 2005／ age 18 （12 th grade）
- Releases her third album with guests Nicholas Payton and Eric Alexander. This album titled “SAKURA STAMP” was her first attempt with an organ trio.
To support this album, she launched her first Blue Note tour, performing on stage with the Jazz Giant (famous for their works with Miles Davis etc.), Jimmy Cobb. Jimmy Cobb called Saori the “Japanese Cannonball Adderley”.
- July 2005／ age 18
- Invited by Jimmy Cobb, Saori headlined at New York’s Smoke for two nights. With the Jimmy Cobb Trio supporting her, she set the jazz-savvy New York crowd on fire.
- November 2005／ age 19
- The live recording from the Smoke session was released as “Parker's Mood～Live In NY”. This was Saori’s first live album. She sets out on a nation wide tour together with Jazz legend James Moody. She is featured in the NHK television program “Top Runner”.
- June 2006／ age 19
- Records her album “Groovin’ High” at Clinton Studio in New York with guest artists Jimmy Heath, Slide Hampton, and Randy Brecker. These big name artists were invited by James Moody, who has spoken highly of Saori’s talent ever since meeting her on her Japanese tour.
- October 2006／ age 19
- Releases “Groovin’ High”. Launches a nationwide tour with artists James moody, Slide Hampton, and Randy Brecker.
- 2007 / age 20
- Invited by a master saxophone player James Cobs, Saori took one-to-one private lessons for 2weeks in his house in Santiago.
Chosen for Kao’s TV commercial character she appeared on the commercial as new Asian beauty folloing Zhang Ziyi (Chinese actress), Kurara Chibana (Japanese actress), and Wang Qimin (Chinese ballerina). She released her best albulm “Yano Saori Best Collection-Jazz Kaiki” indicating her original song “I &I” which was used in the TV commercial on June 20.
- 2007 / age 21
- Releases 7th album “Little Tiny” was created together with currently the greatest organist Dr. Lonnie Smith Trio, Peter Bernstein and Lewis Nash on Nov. 21.
- 2008 / age 22
- Releases 8th album “GLOOMY SUNDAY” repertories of revered Billie Holiday, Strings Orchestra played back music that arranged by Neko Saito.
- 2010 / age 23
- Releases 9th album “BEBOP at the SAVOY”
- 2012 / age 25
- Releases fun-requested album “Answer” as the celebration of 10 years from debut, an origin-returning which features Mr. Terumasa Hino, a world-class trumpeter, was released.
- 2015 / age 28
- Releases “Bubble Bubble Bebop” 11th an album which is comprised Funky Jazz and Cuba Lain with Bebop basics. It also features Motoharu(ts) and Tabuzonbi(tp), members of SOIL & PINP SESSIONS, and Salsa Swingoza, the grand band of Cuba Latin in Japan led by, a leading percussionist Gen Ogimi.